5.31.2013

Vegetable Relish

This was fun my usual recipe is to make a relish that is geared toward heat thus a Giardiniera. But with Fair approaching I wanted to make a vegetable based relish. I semi followed a recipe from the Old Faithful book by Ball called the Blue Book.

I replaced some of the peppers with carrots. I know a lot of people can not eat peppers due to heartburn and due to my entertainment addiction I want everyone to be happy!
So gather all your ingredients before you start it make it so much easier. Get your water bath heated up also with the jars waiting in that bath.

 Pre-chop and use a food processor





Ingredients

6 to 7 lbs of pickling chopped cucumbers
2 cups of chopped carrots
1 cup of any color bell pepper chopped
1 cup chopped one white onion
1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
1/2cup pickling salt
2 tsp turmeric
1/3cup sugar
1 quart water

1 quart 5 % vinegar 


This makes approximately 6 pint
I love to chop but relish takes a bit more time than usual. I used my Food Processor being careful not to over pulse !
Wash your vegetables  than drain them. Finely chop all your vegetables to the consistency you like. I like it a bit small so I can comfortably put it on a hot dog or cheese and crackers.

Ina large stainless steel pot put your brine. That is the salt, turmeric, water, sugar, dill and vinegar. Heat the brine up and add your chopped vegetables. Simmer for about 10 minutes



Ladle hot relish to your clean hot jars leaving a 1/4" head space. Remove air bubbles. Wipe the rims and place the two piece caps. Water bath them for 15 minutes in a boiling water canner!

This is just one more thing you can add to your no need to buy at the store list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you