5.03.2011

Blueberry Jam


Blueberry Jam the easiest jam to make and everyone loves it. I found this old recipe in one of my Vintage Cook Books. One thing I did not add is the water. Blueberries produce enough liquid to compensate for the water listed i the recipe.

Yes I get large quantities of berries. this is 30 pounds I got from the Berry Man. 




Spiced Blueberry Jam

June 1938 original recipe tweaked by Lani 2009

Ingredients

10 cups of fresh blueberries
1 cup of water (or not)
1 tsp of all spice,cinnamon & crushed cloves
2 cups sugar
1 package of Pomona Pectin
¼ cup lemon juice

I get my jars ready by putting them in the dishwasher for a little bath you can do it while your making the jam. No need to do the bands and the little lids can be par-boiled not hard boiled or you may lose the seal.

I start my jam by just cleaning my fruit and putting it into the pot. The cooking of these delicious little berries makes them easy to crush and gets the consistency you want once they warm up.

The 10 cups turns into about 6 mushy cups

Mix about a ¼ cup of the sugar with the pectin



I like to grind my own cloves from whole it really makes good taste. I use my Molcajete fancy name for mortar and pestle. Use a zip lock bag and a meat tenderizer or a hammer-bam bam crushed the aroma is so intense.

In a large pot bring your berries to a simmer and crush them to the consistency you want. Now add the pectin, water, lemon and spices to a rolling boil for 10 minutes it is a boil that you can’t stir down.

Now add the sugar and bring back to a boil for about a 5 more minutes. Keep this gong until you can see you have a gel that will set.

* Trade secret keep cup of ice water with a teaspoon in it next to your pot when you think it is done then take the spoon scoop some out lay it on a plate till it becomes room temperature and if is the right consistence for you your jam is done. If not keep cooking!




You should not get foam from blueberries this is FYI only! Skim off the foam."They"  say if you add a slice of butter when you start to cook the fruit it gets rid of the foam but I remember when I was young that was the best part for me.

Here is some foam information 





I pour the jelly in a big measuring cup to pour into the jars.
  • Pour the jelly ¼ “ or so from the top
  • Wipe the rims clean
  • Put on the seal and cap it 
  • Give it it’s water bath
You should put these into a bath for 15 minutes






My jamming career is trial and error and it has been a fun trip please email me @ canarella@sbcglobal.net with any questions you might have cause I love this adventure.






Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.   




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you !