5.15.2014

Orange Marmalade

Orange Marmalade this is one great jam. This is not your Mama's Marmalade. Most people are a bit leery of marmalade but once you put a bit of this jam on toast than nothing will stop you.

Tart with the right amount of sweet.

Citrus is so ready available this time of year. 






Ingredients

4 cups orange pulp
1 cup lemon pulp
1 cup total of thinly sliced orange and lemon peel
¼ tsp baking soda
1 cup of orange juice 
1 cups of water (optional)
4 cups of sugar










Pectin, this is not necessary you can use it but I strongly advise you to do some research prior to adding. The reason I say that is that Citrus has a lot of acid and natural pectin so if it is done right it will gel naturally.






Do you see the cheese cloth pack in my jam? It is the pith and seed and will create my own pectin.  Here is the link to make your own Make your own Pectin.




So thinly slice your 2 lemons and 1 orange this is the pulpy stuff. It comes to about a cup + give or take. Now take the slices and cut them into quarters. Put the slices and enough water to cover. Bring this to a simmer and add the 1/4 tsp of baking soda. It will sizzle. Turn it down and let it simmer on low for 20 minutes. This will tenderize the peels. No baking soda after taste.














While those peels are simmering cube up your oranges and lemons and this is without the peel cut enough to have 4 cups of orange chunky and about a cup of lemon .  Just like all my tips you make it the consistency you like after all its your jam. Here is a link to how to section citrus and it makes it so easy. Marmalade will no longer be a chore.






Once the slices have simmered you can add the rest of the liquid and the orange chunks. Bring this to a rapid boil 5 to 7 minutes stirring all the time this is when a friend or husband saying


               “Oh my gosh that smells so good”







This is my pot once all the citrus has gathered itself you can add your sugar. Add the sugar slowly one cup at a time. Taste between cups I stop if it gets to sweet. Stir it until it is dissolved and add additional cups if needed.
(Have your sugar measured out and ready)














Bring to a boil to add your pectin packet and watch the magic.I have a candy thermometer that I use to make sure my Marmalade's have gotten to a temperature of 223 degrees.








I learned how to make my Marmalade up in Oakland at a Marmalade Store. It is June Taylor at the Still Room. My mama loved marmalade and I love to make it for her. I like many people did not like marmalade because the only type I ever tasted was from a super market. But once I learned more about it's history and how to make a true marmalade I was hooked!


Once your marmalade has reached close to the 223 degrees temperature remove your pectin packet. Put it on a plate and into the freezer for app 15 minutes to cool. When you remove it you are going to squeeze the dickens out of it.

This is magic your pectin put it back into your jam and bring the pot up to a rolling boil and 223 degrees. Once you have gotten there just turn off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes while you get your jars ready to fill.



Ladle marmalade into jars. Leaving a 1/4 inch head room. Wipe the rims clean put on the lids and screw top's. Place in a Boiling Water bath for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat wait 5 minutes and remove and let them cool for 24 hours. Once cooled remove the twist top clean and store.




Label with date and jam type. The picture to your left is a lot oranger because that batch is blood oranges.


I know it seems a bit daunting but worth every minutes. Enjoy






Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.     



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you !