10.10.2014

Why use Stainless Steel for Canning

This subject is another one of the she said he said topic's. I always refer back to the expert's when it comes to these kind of questions. The subject we are discussing today is the type of pan to use when cooking your products for canning purposes.

Re-active or non-reactive that is the question?



The correct answer all around is Non-reactive and the reason is endless but lets keep it as simple as possible. For more reason and explanations I have listed go to sites. The reason for having to use Non-reactive pot's (Stainless Steel) is that Metal's such as aluminum and or cast iron react with the acid and make your end product taste like Metal. Euuuu






What is a non-reactive pan you ask? Well it is a  pan made of stainless steel . My post is going to focus on Stainless Steel there are other vessels you can use but that is another topic and Stainless Steel is so easily found. I have my Grandmother's. Lucky







The size is variable I use a large pot. It is 12 by 7 wide enough to cook evenly and big enough for large marge batches.  Plus I do not get splatter as often as I stir. The size is dependent on the amount of room you have, and the size of the batch you are making. So many variables it is endless. The thing we wanted to cover here is USE Stainless steel to make you food products! xoxo


The websites are endless when it comes to answers but here is my go to site.

Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe or answer for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you !