5.17.2017

What is Mother of Vinegar


So like promised I did my homework and have the Mother of Vinegar Story. What the heck it is! Ok stay with me it is very scientific. My information comes from a few sources. One is the Supreme Vinegar definition.  I get my Mother of Vinegar from that Compay. I will give you all the link's at the end of the post as well as the link's to any recipes I have gotten through. Good or Bad!

What is Mother of Vinegar ?





Well this is a colony of bacteria. Euu but they are good guy's called Acetobacter. These guy's perform the same work the as the yeast from the wine. Combined they make Vinegar. What happens is they form the mother on the surface since it requires oxygen to convert the wine to vinegar. The surface is where the air is at. The mother has yeast and acetic acid in it and that bacteria and that on the fermenting alcohol which makes the vinegar.

Now Wikipedia has a definition also it says and I quote

" Mother of Vinegar is a substance composed of a form of cellulose and acetic acid bacteria that develops on fermenting alcoholic liquids, which turns alcohol into acetic acid with the help of oxygen from the air. It is added to wine or other alcoholic liquids to produce vinegar."

Hey,  didn't I say that ??? 

Mother of Vinegar can also be found in store bought vinegar if there is some non-fermented sugar and /or alcohol contained in the vinegar. (A good example is Bragg's Organic the cloud one) This is more common in unpasteurized vinegar . It is in no way appetizing in appearance, mother of vinegar is completely harmless and the surrounding vinegar does have to be discarded. Simply use a coffee filter or a few layers of cheese cloth and separate it. You can then use the Mother of that Vinegar for making vinegar.





Now as far as the look well the red is gross. It look like a blood clot when you see it raw but the vinegar it produces is magic. I am doing some research on why the red is so much thicker than the clear Mother. Strange thing right you would think the consistency would be the same.





You can see the other of Vinegar I used for Champagne Vinegar is much lighter in color and the Mother much less gel-ish-ness







 So there you have it the Mother of a Story on Mother of Vinegar. Here is the recipe for Balsamic Vinegar and the link to the Mother I bought for that is in the post. Here is the recipe for the Champagne Vinegar the Mother that I bought for that is at the Amazon Site. I have a link to the Mother on this site go to the Home screen and look to the right for the Amazon link Easy!

There is more to the story and that will be in the next vinegar post. Did you ever think there was so much information to make vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you !