7.17.2017

Cherry Mango Jam

Well our Summer Cherry Adventure is coming to an end but the recipes are endless. This Cherry Mango Jam is the perfect partnership of two fruits.I do make so many Cherry Jam recipes during this season so do check the Preserves Tab for more. Let us get started with this delicious Jam.




Ingredients

8 cups of clean, pitted, chopped cherries
4 cups of chopped mango
1/4 cup of lemon juice
2 cups of sugar


Start by putting your chopped cherries into a non-reactive pot. Keep this on a low to medium heat to get them started it takes a few minutes to crush and get the juices flowing with fresh cherries. Add your lemon juice at this time it will help. I always end up with some cherry pits in the mix but they like citrus seed float and can be easily scooped out.


This is the smash and scoop time while your juices arrive.




Now it is time to add your mango pieces. I say pieces because chopping fresh mango is a chore and you will have large and small chunks. And while you chop them you want to save as much juice as possible.


You can see the different sizes I have in this pot. But that is why my potato smasher is my best tool when preserving Jam's




Once everything is happy together you  can slowly add your sugar and bring this mixture up to a rolling boil. This is a boil you can not stir down. My jam's are pectin free I use a candy thermometer to bring my jam's up to a steady boil of 222 to 223 degrees. I do not say not to use pectin I just prefer without. Yes it is a bit more time consuming but I'm ok with that.


Ok let us get your jar's filled. Take your warm jars and fill them up to 1/2 inch from the rim of the jar. Once they are all filled wipe all the jar rims with a clean cloth. Cap and twist top's on. Put your jar's into a boiling water bath for no longer than 12 minutes. Once done remove the jar's and place them on a cloth covered counter over night 






Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Agricultural Extension Service for additional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you !