6.22.2011

Apple Rings in Red Hot Cinnamon Syrup

Picking my own apples or even grabbing a bag of not right off the tree for cheaper is such a pleasure my mommy lives out in Hemet and up in the hills above Beaumont is Oak Glen and I pick up a bag of apples and she watches 







When I first started canning I made this I got it from a lady who I know from quilting ...It got me through the learning stages of canning. The first thing was I did not tighten my lids and when I came back to see how it went well two jars opened I had Cinnamon Apples Soup...I was sad but now I think about it and laugh. But I made another batch because I never do my canning little I go big or go home....Hey want a minute I am home...So here is the recipe..wait first a few  things

  • I do not cook the apples in the syrup because they get cooked enough in the water bath and I like my stuff not mushy..un mushy..mushyless...I know my picture shows them in a pot well the first time I did cook it all together.
  • If you do not want to use cinnamon sticks then don't I love cinnamon
  • The candy I love it so I increased my batch to two boxes but you can use one
  • Use wide mouth jars the apples fit better 
  • Why are there no pictures of you jars?  My battery went dead right after they exploded oh hush it only happened once.....
Cinnamon Candy Apples Rings

10 pounds firm tart apples
2 cups sugar
10 cups water
1 cup white vinegar
1 to 2 boxes of Red Cinnamon candies
1/2 cup of lemon juice used to keep apples from browning


Wash apples. Peel and slice you can use a apple peeler I find it easier see mine.
As you peel them put them in the bowl of lemon water to keep the apples from discoloring
In a a large pot, combine sugar, water, vinegar, cinnamon candies
**This is the time you decide do I cook my apples in this or put them in the jars direct if you decide to cook your apples do it for about 20 minutes or until the apples have the texture you like
Stir the liquid heat to boil, and simmer for a few  minutes
Fill your jars with your apple slices. 

Add the hot liquid to your jars leaving a 1/2 inch head space remove air bubbles
Wipe your jars , adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner for 10/15 minutes
Makes about 6-8 pints.

This is so good warmed up on vanilla bean ice cream.....