Picking my own apples or a bag of right off the tree such a pleasure.
My mama lives in Hemet and up in the hills above Beaumont is Oak Glen and I pick
When I first started canning I made this reicpe. It came from a lady who I knew from my quilting group. It got me through the learning stages of canning. The first thing was I did not tighten my lids and when I came back to see how it went well two jars opened I had Cinnamon Apples Soup.
I was sad but now I think about it and laugh. But I made another batch because I never do my canning little I go big or go home. Hey want a minute I am home. So here is the recipe and a few before you start tip's !
- I do not cook the apples in the syrup because they get cooked enough in the water bath and I like my stuff not mushy ~un mushy ~mushyless. The picture shows them in a pot because the first time I did cook all the ingredients together.
- If you do not want to use cinnamon sticks then don't I love cinnamon
- The candy I love it so I increased my batch to two boxes but you can use one
- Use wide mouth jars the apples fit better
- Why are there no pictures of the jars? My battery went dead right after my first batch and 2 jars
explodedopened. Oh hush now it only happened once.
10 pounds firm tart apples
2 cups sugar
10 cups water
1 cup white vinegar
1 to 2 boxes of Red Cinnamon candies
1/2 cup of lemon juice used to keep apples from browning
Peel and slice you can use a apple peeler I find it easier see mine.
As you peel them put them in the bowl of lemon water to keep the apples from discoloring
In a large pot, combine sugar, water, vinegar, cinnamon candies. Let the candy disolve and the syrup gently simmer.
**This is the time you decide do I cook my apples in this or put them in the jars direct if you decide to cook your apples do it for about 20 minutes or until the apples have the texture you like
Fill your jars with your apple slices and add the hot liquid to your jars leaving a 1/2 inch head space. Remove air bubbles
Add the apples to the pot of liquid bring back to a simmer. Once the apples are to the right tenderness. Fill the jars with the apples and liquid to 1/2 inch from the top of the jar. Remove air bubble
Wipe your jars , adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner for 10/15 minutes
Makes about 6-8 pints.
This is so good warmed up on vanilla bean ice cream.