3.09.2012

Cowboy Candy - Candied Jalapenos


 Cowboy Candy wow what a concept. I was at a roping (that is where cowboys rope little cows) and were are having a BBQ after

That means food for days , beer for hours and good BBQ. I noticed a jar of this stuff actually I noticed the mason jar. I ate some and it was.... ok I ate most of the jar. 

Once I located the woman who oh excuse me the cowboy who made it I got the recipe and made some at home.  








Cowboy Candy is just out of this world good. It is jalapenos in a spiced up sugar/vinegar mixture. I am partial to heat on my food but this takes the cake. The sweet of the sugar combined with the vinegar and jalapenos, zap you are hooked.



I took the original recipe and research recipes and  combined them


Tonight I cooked some chicken thighs and poured this over the chicken with some red onions and lemon slices. I do not believe that I have gotten so many compliments on the taste of a chicken dish. 
This concoction could not be easier to make when it comes to canned goods. My batch yielded a variety of jars. I used 3 pint jars, three 1/2 pints, and two pints of left over for the extra sauce for cooking.






I always make sure I have extra jars ready because you never know when there is going to be a little extra. I got a small batch at Canning Homemade and the other is for larger not quite as large as mine at Dixie Chic Cooks

Note they use similar yet different ingredients one uses mustard seed and the other does not. This is what makes canning so awesome you can tweak your little heart out!


            Ingredients

  4 lb fresh jalapenos
  4 cups cider vinegar
  5 cups sugar
  2 tablespoons mustard seed
  1 teaspoon turmeric
  1 teaspoon celery seed
  1 tablespoon garlic powder
  1  teaspoon cayenne pepper




Slice jalapenos. (I used a mandolin but a good ole' knife works just as well.) Glove up 











 

I mix up my spices in a small bowl prior to adding it to the warm liquid. Just put some rice vinegar into a bowl with your spices and mix till it is well mixed! That sounds repetitive.





Put the spices into your pot and let it simmer for a few 5 minutes in the rice vinegar mixture. I like to get the seasonings dissolved prior to adding the sugar. Why Cayenne powder to an already spice veggie. It for me adds a smoky flavor.  Now add your sugar and stir for 5 minutes same simmer point.


Add jalapenos at the simmer for 10 minutes more. 

I like the jalapenos soft and the liquid absorbed into them.




Load sterilized jars with jalapenos first pack them tight. You can actually get a pound of cooked jalapenos into each jar.  

Add liquid filling the jars leaving a 1/4 head space. Wipe the rims twist top and process in a water bath for 15 minutes. Makes 6 pints




Once the water bath is done remove jars and let them cool for at least 8 hours. Once cooled take the twist off clean your jar's and store in a cool dry spot. They are good unopened for one year. Once opened refrigerate

Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.   
 



3 comments:

  1. I'm currently working on my (at least) fourth batch of these now. Such a fantastic recipe and such a hit wherever I bring them. I personally love them topping a slice of cheddar or on a cracker with goat cheese but friends and family use them as a relish for burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on all the thing we dress with this great recipe. A real party pleaser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mention mixing the spices in rice vinegar but the recipe says apple cider vinegar. Which one did you mean?

    ReplyDelete

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you