Picking my own apples or a bag of right off the tree such a pleasure.
My mama lives in Hemet and up in the hills above Beaumont is Oak Glen and I pick
When I first started canning I made this recipe. It came from a lady who I knew from my quilting group. It got me through the learning stages of canning. The first thing was I did not tighten my lids and when I came back to see how it went well two jars opened I had Cinnamon Apples Soup.
I was sad but now I think about it and laugh. But I made another batch because I never do my canning little I go big or go home. Hey want a minute I am home. So here is the recipe and a few before you start tip's !
- I do not cook the apples in the syrup because they get cooked enough in the water bath and I like my stuff not mushy ~un mushy ~mushyless. The picture shows them in a pot because the first time I did cook all the ingredients together.
- If you do not want to use cinnamon sticks then don't I love cinnamon
- The candy I love it so I increased my batch to two boxes but you can use one
- Use wide mouth jars the apples fit better
- Why are there no pictures of the jars? My battery went dead right after my first batch and 2 jars
explodedopened. Oh hush now it only happened once.
10 pounds firm tart apples
2 cups sugar
10 cups water
1 cup white vinegar
1 to 2 boxes of Red Cinnamon candies
1/2 cup of lemon juice used to keep apples from browning
Peel and slice you can use a apple peeler I find it easier see mine.
As you peel them put them in the bowl of lemon water to keep the apples from discoloring
In a large pot, combine sugar, water, vinegar, cinnamon candies. Let the candy dissolve and the syrup gently simmer.
**This is the time you decide do I cook my apples in this or put them in the jars direct if you decide to cook your apples do it for about 5 minutes or the apples will turn to apple sauce good on yogurt.
Fill your warm jars with your apple slices and add the hot liquid to your jars leaving a 1/2 inch head space. Remove air bubbles
Add the apples to the pot of liquid bring back to a simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and fill the jars with the apples and liquid to 1/2 inch from the top of the jar. Remove air bubble
Wipe your jars , adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner for 12 minutes
Makes about 6-8 pints.
This is so good warmed up on top of a bowl of vanilla bean ice cream.