5.27.2014

Grape Jam


These grapes were a gift from one of the girls that attended one of my canning classes. She grows grapes and they are delicious based on the jam that I made. It turned out great. I decided to make this jam with the whole grape. I did not use a food strainer with this jam like I had with grape jelly we made last year.





I do have to say that using the whole grape makes a big difference and we all love texture in our jam.



I started by rinsing the grapes and stemming them. I did not peel them I wanted the tart of the peels and they are very fine peels thus so many cooked down. Simmering the grapes in a large pot. I mushed a lot of them but made sure some were left whole for the jam.





Here are your Ingredients

5 cups of fresh grapes
1 lemon squeezed in the  mixture
1 tablespoon of lemon zest (you can use less I like a little tart to mine)
5 cups of sugar
1 box of pectin




Once the grapes were to the consistency I wanted I added the lemon juice and zest (mine was frozen that is why it looks like more in the picture) Then I brought the jam up to a boil that could not be stirred down.







Next you add your pectin mixture. * Put the pectin and the same amount sugar into a measuring cup and mix it up it makes it easier to add and dissipate into the mixture when added.
Bring it back up to a boil and add your sugar. Return the mixture to a rapid boil and stir until it reaches a boiling point of 221 or it has reach the set point. Use the spoon test to make sure.








Spoon test. Purrrfect







 Turn the heat off and let your jam sit for 5 minutes while you get your warm jars ready. Ladle the jam into the jars leaving 1/2 inch of head room. Wipe the rim clean and cap. Water bath for 25 minutes.







Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you