12.29.2014

Strawberry Fig Jam



Fig and Strawberry Jam. Lucky me, my Daddy has a Fig tree's and this year I took complete advantage of them. Yeah Yeah I did not think these little fruit's were any good.


 



When I think of Fig's I think of Prunes and frankly having to go to the bathroom. Seriously how wrong could one girl be. This Jam is so good! I am looking forward to Fig season this year

Ingredients 

3 cups fresh chopped figs
3 cups fresh chopped strawberries
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 cups of sugar


Notice that I am using less sugar in this recipe. The sweet of the figs and strawberries make it so you are able to use less sugar. Sweet!



Clean your fruit! Be gentle you do not want to bruise the fruit. You do NOT have to peel the figs. Some may be icky looking peel those ones.

Clean your strawberries and hull them that means take the tip top off.










Every strawberry season out here I make sure I buy the fresh strawberries every week and freeze as many as possible. I do this so I have them all year long to can. Here in Southern California the supply is endless. I like the strawberries more than the weather !









Take your chopped figs, strawberries and lemon put them into your stainless steel pot on a medium flame. Bring them to a boil that can not be stirred down. Be sure to stir we do not want burn or scorch.






Once you have your rolling boil you can to stir down add your sugar one cup at a time making sure to incorporate well.






Bring the batch back to a rolling boil.

Keep stirring and wait for the boil to return. It looks beautiful doesn't it ! I am really careful when I make my jam's. I like to make sure that I have chunks of fruit in the jam.






Once the jam has come back to a boil you can check your gel point. Turn off the burner , skim the foam and get ready to jar!


It is time to jar your jam. I always turn the burner off and let my jam sit for 5 minutes. This is a great trick when you have jam that you want your fruit to set not float in the jam jar. Works great with Marmalade's.





 Have your lids ready. Fill your jar's to 1/4 inch from the top and wipe clean. Set the lid and screw on the ring taunt.

Put them into your water bath for 10 minutes. Once done turn off your stove and remove your jars. Place on a counter and let them cool over night. Once cooled remove the twist and store.





Here is a link to the California Fresh Fig Website with many recipes for you to try. I have linked you right to the canning recipes.

Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you