8.01.2015

Peach Pie/Cobbler Filling Recipe by the Pint

Well I did get my Peaches from Washington and they are heavenly. Only 16 survived the trip but of those we got a good 5 pints.

I searched the internet for day's prior to my peaches arriving and geezzz if I saw one more Peach Pie filling in 2 quarts or 7 quart sizes I thought I might scream. Ok I did scream!

Thank you Sweet Preservation for having theses beauties sent to me. Peaches from Washington oh Yum!




I thought about how many people who do preserve food might not want to make a whole peach pie. Perhaps they are just two people and want a smaller quantity. So I have taken the recipe and revised it to be able to make pint jars. Pint you say! Yes, and this is a great thing because I know that many people like to make individual size desert's. This is good for parties or little ones or just me!


 A few things I need to review with you is first the peeling. I read on all the sites to put them into boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minutes. This is a good method BUT these peaches did not want to peel or let go of their pit. Little devils. They do say over ripe peach peel easier.I will research reasons for this in another post. All I did was use a sharp paring knife to peel them and then proceeded to chop them.







Why chop Canrella? Well, the recipe is for cobbler and small peach pie pockets. Chopped just seemed to make since. Also I am using pint jars they will fit and fall out of the small mouth jars better.

Plus my idea is for little peach pie pockets or individual peach cobblers. Not everyone can eat or want a whole peach pie.





Next the big question how do I keep the peeled peaches from getting yellow/brown while waiting for me to finish the peel and chop phase. Many a website called out for Fruit Fresh, Syrup, ascorbic acid crystals, 500 mg vitamin C. STOP the madness see the container next to the one holding my chopped peaches?

That is a mixture of one lemon squeezed into the water so while I am peeling I can coat and turn the slices and I dip my clean hands in it.


There is so little lemon in the mixture or used that you never even taste the lemon in your pie filling.

 Ok let us get started gee wizzerz this is a lot of information but I had never made a pie filling so it is my first time. Thank you Washington Fruit Commission for sending me these lovely little peaches. For more recipes and information about there great fruits go here. And look at the Chef's who took the seasonal fruit and made some outstanding dishes. 

Ingredients - Yields 5/6 pint jars

8 Cups of peeled and chopped peaches - I had 16 large Washington Peaches luck me
1 cups of white granulated sugar
1 cups of brown sugar
1 teaspoons cinnamon or nutmeg
1 cup cold water
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/2 cup clear jel



Also this is my first time using Clear Jel ! Yet another post wow I am learning so much new stuff. I will link you to the resources I used on the bottom of this post.







Clear Jel magic there are old school ways of thickening up your peach filling. Flour, cornstarch but this product is made for this process. Have everything ready. Your jars, water-bath, measured out ingredients this goes quickly. Alright once your peaches are cut and ready to go. This recipe is a do it one step after another no delays.


 
Combine your water, suger, clear jel and spices into a large pot.
Stir on medium heat until your mixture begins to thicken.

Keep an eye on this it can thicken quickly and then you are left stirring out clumps.








Alright once it begins to thicken add your lemon juice. Stir and bring it up to a soft boil. Turn the heat down to low and add your peaches carefully coating the peaches until they are coated and the mixture is combined.


Get your jars out and start to fill right away. Don't rush just don't wait!












Look at the beautiful liquid it is very exciting !







Fill your jar's leaving 1" head space. Get rid of the bubbles/air pockets. Wipe the rims top with lid and screw top and water-bath those babies.

These get water-bathed for 30 minutes more than most jams we make but we must go with the expert's!










I adapted this recipe from the National Center for Home Food Preservation. There were so many variables out there that I went to my go to expert's.



Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.    


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you