5.25.2011

Grandma's Apple Butter

Ok when I started to can I only wanted to do it for the Apple Butter Jam. The memories I have of my Grandma Lois and her canning extravaganza's are glorious memories.


Yet in the last few years I never made it. Well today that is over. I woke up saw my husbands big giant apples in the frig and said this is the day. I called my dad to get his Mom's recipe I can still taste it.




I also got some tips from friends checked the Internet out and there are as many recipes as there are apples. So I stuck with Grama Lois original and got to jammin'. All I wanted was to taste my Grama Lois's Apple Butter . Time will tell.

You know I tweak so many recipes. Not this one

Grama Lois Apple Butter 

4 lbs. of apples I did use Granny Smith and a variety of some I picked locally
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
3 cups of brown sugar and 1 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of molasses
Grate half of a nutmeg nut...sounds funny but fresh is good it comes to about ne teaspoon of nutmeg. If you use dry use 1/2 teaspoon
1 tablespoon of cinnamon.
6 whole all spice balls
Grated rind 1 small lemon and the juice of one whole lemon
Ok I use the whole apple skin-seeds-all of it.

Why you ask because the pectin is in the skins, seeds and stuff and it will dissipate. And Think Food Mill my friends!
Also I love nutmeg it gives everything that holiday smell and taste it is a personal choice for you to add or not. And also add four whole cinnamon sticks when the process is smashed and the simmer begins. 






Cut the apples into quarters put them in a pot add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and 2 cups of water.

Let this cook on low for well I did mine so far for 2 hours stirring it every 20 minutes or so to keep it circulating and to shift the apples location in the pot.




After the first hour I added 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon and all spice I also added grated fresh nutmeg about 1 teaspoon. Yes those are whole cinnamon sticks.

I added the spices while it is cooking to infuse the flavor in the first stage. The cloves are whole and in a spice bag to remove when I run it threw the mill. 




Alright you have cooked the apples, run them thru a food mill. Once it has been run thru the mill return the ingredients to the pot.  Now we are going to add the remaining ingredients.

  • Alright add 3 cups of brown sugar
  • 1 cup of granulated sugar 
  • 1/4 cup of molasses









I will know run it thru the food mill one more time to make it smooth as can be.





 For the last few hours of cooking I put it into a crock pot on low
 for at least 4 to 5 hours. Stir it ever hour or so and taste to
 make sure there is nothing you may want to add.












I will usually get my jars ready in the water bath and do work on the computer when I'm doing this project. Once it has the consistency and taste you are ready to get them ready for their bath.

I left some of the Apple Butter in a small pot to show you the difference prior to adding the additional ingredients. See how much deeper the color is with the additional ingredients.

 Time to jar up for Bath Time!






 Have your warm jars ready and fill them until they are about 
 1/2" from the rim of the jar. Wipe the rims clean and cap taunt.
 Water bath them for 12 minutes. Once done remove from the
 bath and let them cool over night or for at least 8 hours.







Once cooled remove the twist portion of the top. Make sure they have sealed wash the jars. Label with content and date and store up opened for up to one year. Once opened refrigerate ! Yummm



Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you