5.25.2011

Apple Butter

Ok when I started to can I only wanted to do it for the Apple Butter Jam...


Yet in the last few years I never made it...well today that is over. I woke up saw my husbands big giant apples in the frig and said this is the day......thus I called my dad to get his Mom's recipe I can still taste it...got some tips from friends checked the Internet out and there are as many recipes as there are apples. So I stuck with Grama Lois original  and got to jammin'....All I wanted was to taste my Grama Lois's jam again ....Time will tell
You know I tweak so the recipe is different from the Grammies but it shows you the original recipe one so like I say can to taste

4 lbs of  apples I did use Granny Smith
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
Sugar is 3 cups of brown sugar and 1 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of molasses
Grate half of a nutmeg nut...sounds funny but fresh is good it comes to about a teaspoon of nutmeg
I love nutmeg it gives everything that holiday smell and taste it is a personal choice for you to add or not
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
6 whole all spice balls
Grated rind 1 small lemon and the juice of one whole lemon
Ok I use the whole apple skin-seeds-all of it.
Why you ask because the pectin is in the skins, seeds and stuff




Alrighty lets get started
Cut the apples into quarters put them in a pot with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and 2 cups of water
Let this cook on low for well I did mine so far for 2 hours stirring it every 20 minutes or so to keep it circulating and to shift the apples location in the pot. After the first hour I added 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon and all spice I also added grated fresh nutmeg about 1 teaspoon ....
I added the spices while it is cooking to infuse the flavor in the first stage. The cloves are whole so they will be gone when I run it threw the mill. Or separate it prior to running it through the mill.
Alright you have cooked the apples, run them threw the mill and now we are going to add the remaining ingredients.


 

Alright add 3 cups of brown sugar
1 cup of granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of molasses
Now the next is to taste I add more cinnamon this helps brown it up and really the cinnamon is ok to add more just remember you add slow because you can always add more but ya can not take it out .


Alright now cook it for a least 2 more hours on high stirring so it does not stick to the bottom I will usually get my jars ready and do work on the computer when I'm doing this and just go back and forth and stir. Once it has the consistency that you like pour it into the jars and water bath it. I water bath all things jam or pickle. Do those jar not look gorgeous





Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.