5.25.2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

The Book is Rumford Complete Cook Book ...1908....By Lily Haxworth Wallace

Ok so I go to get the book for today's recipe and I decide oh my looky loo they have a recipe for Preserved Rhubarb perfect because as you know from my gardening blog I just got two hugh plants from the neighbor down the street and quite frankly I am sacred of Rhubarb ...It is kinda like the teacher everyone hates but when you finally get her in a class she is really good and really nice...who of thought..so so so
I am going through the book and on one of the back pages is notes from the owner of the book from 1916 her rhubarb jam WOOWOOO I scored and there are so many more hand written ones.


I guess I should have gone through the collection sooner...

The Book is Rumford Complete Cook Book ...1908....By Lily Haxworth Wallace but the recipe I got is hand written by Mrs. H.A. Walters...

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

Take 22 sticks of Rhubarb from the farm
2 large baskets of strawberries
4 cups sugar
1/4 cup of lemon juice (No seeds) and some of the rind

Chop your Rhubarb into small pieces and split your strawberries. Put your fruit into a large pot with the lemon juice and rind. This is great jam to use with some whipped cream cheese with crackers.Sorry off topic . Bring this to a soft boil for about one hour to soften the rhubarb and strawberries to a gel. Stir so it does not stick to the bottom of the pot! After one hour add 4 cups of sugar continue with a rapid boil for another hour. Once it is to gel pour pour into jars and water bath your jars for 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you !