6.20.2011

Apricot Jam with Red Pepper Flakes

Apricot Jam is one of my husband favorites !
This is a great topping baked chicken or fish. But the thriller is pair it up with cream cheese and crackers. The amount of apricots I snagged off the tree was awesome. I seem to always have people willing to let me strip their tree's. I know it is the jars of jam they get that keep them calling...  and here we go

 

Red Pepper Apricot Jam

8 cups of chopped apricots
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
4 cups of granulated sugar
1 to 2 tbs  of red pepper flakes
* Add one tbs of flakes then test once this jam sits for a few months it grabs more heat the longer it sits. I love heat !
1 box pectin


Makes 4 to 5 pints


 

Clean your fruit and cut off any spots or bruises and remove the pit. No fruit is perfect some times you have to work with what you have. Do not be to picky or you will have no fruit.







 No need to peel ! Yippee














Chop your apricots. I slice the apricot in half then quarter the half. I love my jams chunky. When you cook the apricots it will break up. Not need to peel the peels will dissipate.








Add the lemon and cook your apricots on medium heat until they begin to make a thinner consistency. I hope the pictures help. Once the apricots are cooked down add the peppers and then once they have incorporated add your pectin (Mix your pectin with equal parts sugar this helps it to blend in with your fruit)




Bring this to a rolling boil for at least 10 minutes. Do not leave your jam this is the time for your arm work out. Stir it while it is boiling if you are nervous turn it down a bit. I have found heat helps the jam gel . There will be foam but that is good not to worry.




Ok now add you sugar have it measure out so it is easier to add. Add it slowly while stirring and keep you jam at the rolling boil your not done with your work out yet.

Keep this rolling boil going for yet another 5 minutes when you have made jam for a while you will know your jell point even without pectin.




Sometimes it is hit and miss there are times I have done everything perfect to come out with Syrup. Waste nothing any thin jam is great on Vanilla Ice Cream.




Your jars should be ready this amount of jam fills  4 pint jars. Always have extra jars you just never know. So far nothing in canning or cooking is exact,  well for me it isn't.

Fill jars to 1/4 inch from the top of the jar. Wipe the rim clean. Cap and water bath your jars for
10 minutes but half pint need only 5 minutes. Let them sit for 5 minutes prior to removing them. Remove let cool overnight . Remove twist wipe clean again label and store.



This is your basic Apricot Jam Recipe with Red Pepper Flakes added.






Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes. 

4 comments:

  1. Yes you can and I will post a recipe for that tomorrow for you....good question

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a jalapeno pepper jam but it came out too mild, would adding the pepper flakes after the fact work to spice it up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! I save the pepper seeds from all my hot peppers and dry them for use in other recipes as well as cooking. I have even ground them up for power. um but I am a spice girl.

    ReplyDelete

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you