10.19.2011

How to freeze Buttermilk

I hope everyone is getting ready for winter canning time...it is the time to can winter veggies, soups, sauces and all things comfort....Also a time to crack open some of our favorite foods that are no longer in season. I get such a thrill out of opening some jam that has been canned this past summer for some hot biscuits  slathered in butter...Oh man I think I just gained a pound writing about it....

As you know I have been out of town now for the last month and my new Pressure Cooker and Fermentation crock are waiting at home for me to start some winter experiments...I'm very excited but family first....

Frozen Buttermilk there have been many a topic on this and I want you all to know that anything I post is my opinion and always something I have tested eaten and lived!

So rather than get off topic know that yes you can freeze buttermilk but thaw it in the refrigerator and stir it really good....It is really only good used in baking because when you thaw it out the consistence is not the same as fresh but super for your baking needs. I always have left over when ever I buy it...I will freeze it in my canning jars. Many people do not like to freeze in glass and you need to be careful not to chip that would be a major problem....

I make sure I have clean jars and I check them for and cracks or ship with my bare finger ...once you know they are safe I measure out the buttermilk I have left and put them into the jars. I place them into the freezer tops off only long enough to freeze them- cap them and mark the amount on the jars. It is easy for me to have a lot of glass jars in the freezer because I do have two freezers....you can freeze the buttermilk in plastic or zip lock bags ...there is just so much talk about plastic and the harm I just stick with good clean glass jars. Since your frozen goodies have to be thawed before adding to recipes, it’s nice to know how much you need to pull from the freezer the night before and see the measurement on the lid.....what ever works for you then you will always have the buttermilk on hand for all you last minute baking needs....

When freezing in glass jars, the most important step is to make sure you leave enough headroom to prevent broken jars.  

Please thaw out your jars in the frig or on the counter...never ever ever with heat of any kind you will shatter your jar.....

In spite of the physical hazards, I choose glass jars because they are non-reactive and often free.

I also keep the King Aurthur buttermilk powder on hand for baking. It works very well. But there are so many pro's and con's on the powder that it is not as good ..to use milk instead of water when baking with it (to mix it up) I think that this is going to be a great topic for my cooking blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you