9.26.2012

Vanilla Sugar

 What is vanilla sugar?

Vanilla sugar is mostly a homemade item.

Vanilla sugar is a term used by cooks for sugar that is flavored with a vanilla bean.

You can make vanilla sugar at home very easily by splitting a vanilla bean, scraping out the seeds -- use them in a recipe -- and burying the split vanilla bean into a container of sugar.

Cover tightly, and, after about a week, the vanilla bean will have flavored the sugar with a delicious vanilla scent and taste that will improve everything from a coffee cake or cookie topping to a cup of hot cocoa.

Vanilla sugar is also good as a substitute for regular sugar in scones, quick breads, or almost anything that would benefit from a vanilla undertone.

  • 4 cups sugar
  • 3 to 4 vanilla beans








When I made my batch of Vanilla Sugar I noted that the vanilla beans if fresh are quite moist. I used a sharp paring knife, halved vanilla beans lengthwise. Scrape vanilla seeds from the pod onto a cutting board using the side of the knife. Then I put a small pile of sugar on to my cutting board and using my finger tips or a fork, I evenly distribute the seeds as best I could through layer of sugar filling my jar about 2 cups at a time. I have a few big container as I am going to use this for holiday gifts.
Place sugar in a medium bowl.  Cover and store in an airtight container up to 3 months.

If you have a container for your own pantry just refill the jar with sugar as you use it. I use some of the the beans I have had in the Vanilla Extract I make each year for gifts.

Another way to use the Vanilla Pod's and get a pretty jar for a tea or daily use is get a box of sugar cubes and put them in a jar add the pods this will give the flavor and aroma of the vanilla while giving a nice detail any party table.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you