I have a lot of pictures that I took when I first starting canning I noticed that I did not take them in the jar. But that is not holding me back from posting the recipe.
Heat oil in a large skillet, add onions and cook until soft and translucent on medium high heat. Once softened, lower heat to medium or medium low, and add the brown sugar continue to cook onions until brown and caramelized. This will take a while.
I fill up a pan with the sliced onions. Remember that no matter how full it looks it cooks down.
While that is cooking down in another pan Take the rinds (thin sliced lemon ) and add the water and baking soda bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes or so stirring it while it is a brewing.
Ingredients for Onion Marmalade
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 onions, large diced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced lemon peel
- 3/4 cup water with 1/8 tsp of baking soda for peels
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped raisins or cranberries (adding this is a personal choice)
- 7 sprigs fresh rosemary, stems removed
- One box powder pectin = 6 tablespoons bulk pectin powder
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add onions and cook until soft and translucent on medium high heat.
- Once softened, lower heat to medium or medium low, add the brown sugar and continue to cook onions until brown and caramelized. If using raisin or cranberries add at this time. Caramelizing will take a while. During this time you can cook your peels in the water solution.
- Once caramelized add the remaining ingredients and simmer on low to medium low stirring occasionally until the jam reaches the gel point.
- Pour hot jam into clean warm jars and boil in a water bath for 15 minutes. Let cool and store in a dark place. App 6 to 8 half pints
|brown sugar in|
I promise that I will get pictures of this in jars next week.