12.06.2012

Pickled Garden Mix




I love Pickled Garden Mix. It is kinda like a good soup. You can put what fresh crunchy vegetables are in your garden and wala Garden Mix. I grow a lot of vegetables in my garden and have found that there is so much variety to use in the kitchen.







This mix is really nice because you can use any crisp vegetable in your garden so get creative. I like to roughly chop my vegetables make it have a rustic flair.
All I have on the counter is some carrot, broccoli, jalapeno, garlic and fresh dill.

I have found around these here parts that most of my admirers love the spice. It must be a California thing.

Seed's = hot             No Seed's = Mild 


This mix makes me about 10 to 12 pints. I put them into wide mouth most of the time. Why you ask it makes it easier for me to pick out the stuff with my little fingers.







All Prepped

There is no rhyme or reason to what you put in your garden mix. Use you favorite end of the season even left over garden picks.








Note I have my gloves on. The reason for this is well I always have them on. With this recipe you do not want to forget and rub your eyes. Sting









Ingredients in Mine

2 cups sliced fresh jalapenos
6 cups roughly chopped carrots about a dozen good sized ones
One/Two cauliflower head broken and roughly chopped
1 Garlic clove peeled not chopped for each jar
1 dill sprig per jar





Liquid

4 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons kosher salt
1/4 cup of white sugar
3 teaspoon mustard seed
3 tsp celery seed
2 tsp turmeric








In a large pot bring this solution to a near boil then down to a simmer.


Wash your vegetables well. I take care not to use any vegetables that has a bruise or cut. To start get all your vegetables cut and in order. I do not put mine in salt solution for a few hours before because all of my vegetables are fresh and crisp. Also I am really aware of salt. If you want salt add it to your taste. There is enough in the solution in my opinion.




I pack my jars right from the bowls. I add a garlic clove and dill to each and layer the vegetables in each jar. Stop when you get one inch from the top of the jar. You can add more after you have added the pickling solution. Alright once your jars are packed add the liquid to each jar taking care to leave that inch from the top. Take a chopstick or a knife and use this to get any bubbles out of the jars. Just gently swirl it in each jar. Now pack any additional vegetable you can. 

I pack tight at this point you want to leave a half inch head space. Wipe your jars around the top and place your lids and bands. Tighten them and give them a water bath for 15 minutes at a rapid boil.  Make sure they are not touching they need their space. Once the time is up wait for about 5 minutes and carefully remove your jars and set them on a towel to cool. Let them cool overnight or all day. When you go to store them take off the band and wipe them clean. You never want to store your canned goods with the band on the jar. It could have some particles on it and it will go bad on and around your jar. Euu

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Is the sugar required for preservation purposes? Or is it safe to omit? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sugar is for taste and I just lowered the amount it was to sweet and I never changed it. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you