12.06.2012

Pressure Canning Split Pea Soup

Split Pea Soup is so easy to Pressure Can. Soups ares an art form and a creative process. Pressure canning itself can be daunting and scary but pressure can you will! I did ! The soup recipe is a time consuming process but worth it. Most of you will look at the recipe and say Jezzzz BUT the time is so worth the product you have on your pantry shelf ! You could also cut the recipe and time in half.


The recipe for my Nanny Lilly's Split Pea Soup is on my cooking site.  I have found that everyone has a different opinion or recipe for everything so to this site I will give you the pressure cooking instructions here in this blog. I could put the recipe on here but it is a canning site and the recipe takes time. Go read it and make a decision if it is worth your time.

Just run over to Heavy Metal Spatula and get the recipe and cook up the soup if you do not already have a recipe. Mine an Ole' Jewish Family original and delicious! One of our true Holiday favorites. And the only way to use the Ham Bone!

Once you soup is done keep it warm your soup needs to be warm for the jars. Remember when canning warm in warm.  Let us get started. Clean and sanitize your pint/quart jars. The recipe will make 6 pints and approximately 4 to 6 quarts pressure canned.

Ladle your warm soup into your jars. Leave a one inch head space in the jars. Wipe with a clean cloth and a bit of vinegar. I wet my cloth and put a drop of vinegar on it. I saw this tip from Matthew a follower on my Facebook page. Thank you Matthew! Here is the reason why. Now cap with warm lid and band. Tighten bands.

There are a million ways to use your pressure cooker with regards to time. I use my Presto booklet that came with mine. But I do search around and see others time schedule.


Process your pints at 11 pounds of pressure for 60 minutes and for quarts 75 minutes. There are many recipes that tell you your time so take your time and be careful.









I know Yum!








Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local National Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you