4.12.2013

Mango-Strawberry Jam




I love mango granted it is not the easiest fruit to peel or use but it is good. I bought a case of mango during the season and froze them. Yesterday I got a call from an old acquaintance who wanted some input on jams and preserving.







I had just made a new batch of salsa and planned on doing some jam the next day. I invited her over to jam with me and we had a great time. I am so good about taking pictures but this time I was so busy showing her I forgot.

So I took a picture of the jam in the jar. 

Ingredients

4 cups strawberries
3 cups mango
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 box powder pectin
5 cups sugar

Clean, peel and chop your mango's. Clean and hull the strawberries. Once your fruit is clean and measured put it the stainless steel pot and warm it up. Get your fruit to a simmer and mush if needed.



I tend to use whole fruit chopped and use my potato smasher to get it to the consistency I like.

Works every time





Once you fruit is at a simmer and broken down to the consistency you like add the lemon juice.
Now is the time you want to bring your fruit to a rapid boil. The kind of boil you can not stir down. This takes a while but there is a reason Yum!
Please stir it so it does not burn.

Mix pectin with half cup of your sugar I find when it is mixed it incorporates better.
Once your fruit is at a rolling boil add you pectin mixture and bring back to a rolling boil.
Add the sugar into the fruit mixture and cook over high heat continuing your rolling boil,
stirring constantly. Continue until your have reached the gel point.


Remove from heat. Let the jam sit for 5 minutes. Strawberry jam has a habit of having floating fruit I find to let it sit a few minutes help to distribute the fruit better.

Skim and remove foam.

Ladle warm jelly into hot jars
Wipe the rim's of your jars and seal
Give them a 15 minute hot water bath  

 Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Agricultural Extension Service for additional information and available classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you