4.12.2013

Mango Chutney

This recipe came from The "Can" Doers

Ingredients

6 mango's
4 cloves of garlic, quartered
4 fresh chili peppers
2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cider vinegar
1/2 cup light rum

Chop mango and place in 4 quart pot. Add garlic. Peel, seed and chop chili peppers, add to pot.
Stir in brown sugar and vinegar.
Bring mixture boiling over medium heat. Reduce heat. Stir in rum. Boil gently, uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until desired consistency.
Ladle into hot jars.
Process in hot water bath for 15 minutes.
NOTES:
For my test batch I did a half batch. I minced the garlic. I used half jalapenos and half Serrano peppers. I had to boil the chutney for nearly an hour to get the right consistency. While this turned out wonderful, I found it lacking in heat...so next time I will increase the peppers or perhaps add a habanero ;)
Let me know if you make this, and how it turns out for you!

 Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Agricultural Extension Service for additional information and available classes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you