11.21.2013

Glass Botttles Save and Re-Use



Bottles. These are one of my go to tools. I use these for so many different things. A few of the important uses is to bottle my Vanilla Extract and my Hot Sauce. I actually have neighbor's save their bottles for me. I have now gotten to the point in my preserving career that I do not buy enough of the staples I make myself thus no bottles. Woes Me!

Tools you will use to clean your bottles.

Container to hold bottles while soaking labels off
Goo Gone that now comes in a spray . HALLA!
Old rags
Scouring Pad
Bottle clean or old toothbrush  








The first thing you are going to want to do is get the old label off. Companies these days are putting there's on really good! Bastards. But take you bottle and fill it with water so it can weigh it down and put it into a large bowl. I have a bucket I use for all thing kitchen. They sometimes need overnight to soak.








This one was a stubborn one. I took my steel wool scrubber and cleaned it as much as possible. I know Goo Gone would do the job faster but that stuff is expensive so I use it for the final cleaning.

I can not understand why they would put a label on so tight it is not like they are recycling the bottles themselves. 




Once they are scrubbed as well as possible yet still have lable gunk on them here is the next step. Lay your bottle down and spray or apply Good Gone. Let it sit for a few minutes then scrub the remainder of the label off. 

Pop them in the dishwasher for a last wash.
f you need them right away wash them by hand. Either way works it won't hurt!
Once done you will have clean shiny bottles !

















  Here are just a few sample of how I re-use my bottles.


Freeze zest


 Freeze Zest
        
Homemade Mustard



                        Make Mustard





Vanilla Extract


Vanilla Extract

Flavored Vinegars


Flavored Vinegar



So get busy and collect those bottles think outside the bottle! 


Disclaimer
: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you