I also do hot water bath in the same water I will be using for the hot water bath. The options are endless like everything with canning there are many opinion's so make a decision and be safe and clean Here are a few tips it is up to you to do what is best for the people eating your caning treat's.
- Only use glass jars that are made specifically to use in canning.
- Check jars for any cracks or chips inside and out as well as along the rims.
- Wash the jars well & rinse well to remove soap.
- Set jars right side up on a rack placed in the bottom of a water canner/ large kettle and space them about 1″ away from each other and the sides of the kettle. Bring water to a boil for 10 minutes
- After jars have been sterilized, turn off the heat and allow them to sit in the hot water until they’re ready to be packed (keep lid on the pot). When ready to use the jars, drain the water from each jar as it’s needed, please be careful not to touch the rim or inside of the jar with anything that hasn’t been sterilized first. Make sure to fill jars quickly after draining to prevent contamination from airborne bacteria.
- Sterilize the lids these do not need to be in boiling water just hot water for 5 minutes or so. To hot ruins the seal it needs to make when in the water bath for the final product. The bands do not need to be sterilized unless you fell better doing it. Hey you can never be to safe