6.22.2011

Strawberry Orange Jam

Tweaking again  - This sold out last year at the Holiday boutiques they could not get enough of this or my Bread and Butter Los Arboles Chili Pickles....

The original recipe came from a Farmers Guide to Canning and Putting Up by Stephen Dowdney. It was the only place I could find a simple and complete Strawberry/Citrus Jam . Here in California we have so much citrus and strawberries abound all summer long from June threw the end of September.

Strawberry Orange Jam - App 11 + Eight Ounce Jars

5 plus cups strawberries, cleaned, topped and halved
4 oranges, thin skinned, sliced thinly, then seeded and chopped
2 Meyer lemons seeded and chopped
**chop the rinds the size you would be comfortable having in a jam
1 cup water
1 pack powder pectin
6 cups sugar




This is prior to adding my citrus yes those are whole lemons

  • Place all ingredients, except sugar, in a large pot. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. The rolling boil is what helps you jams jell. I learned this up at the Still Room in Oakland with June Taylor the Marmalade Queen

  • Add  the sugar, (when you adds the sugar it stops boiling but it will get going again) mixing well and stirring until ingredients boil. and return to a rolling boil, continuing to stir. Time boiling for 3 minutes or so. Notice how the jam has an orange hue to it...yum

  • Remove pot from heat, skim foam off and ladle hot jam into sterilized jars, wipe rims of jars, apply sterilized lids and bands, and process for 15 minutes in a hot water bath.

7 comments:

  1. When you say one pack pectin would that be powdered or liquid pectin? Some recipes do make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Karen that would be powder funny never thought about that I away use powder when I do not I call out liquid but I will change that now........

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just what I was looking for! How many jars (8 oz) does this make?
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made it strictly according to the directions and got 11 8 oz jars. Several more than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I never know which I have put the amount of jars or not. I am in the process of updating all the post this 2021.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you