2.23.2012

So I had some prunes...


The everything that is left conserve

So I had some prunes…the story of my life…I had just made this my first conserve with some beautiful blueberries I had and remembered I had bought some prunes at the whole food store. I bought them because something on the net called out for prunes by the time I remembered I had them I forgot why…So thus became this recipe. 


The citrus raisins I found at our local Sprouts (that is a whole food store) . I am not sure you have them at your local store but I think maybe craisins might be the closest thing to them. The ones I bought are like raisins soaked in lemons and dried …yummy lemons heads….

This is delicious with some cheese and crackers if I do say so myself.

Had some prunes conserve

3 cups blueberries
1 pound of prunes
2 lemons (thinly sliced)
2 oranges (thinly sliced)
1 cup citrus raisins
1 cup walnuts (Chopped)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ cup lemon juice
1 cup of water
4 cups of sugar


Ok lets get started…take your water, lemon juice, lemons, oranges and prunes put them in your large pot and bring them to a simmer. Let them simmer for 5 minutes you do not want the heat up high because you do not to loose any liquid it is just to tenderized the peels. Now add all the rest of the stuff (Not the nuts). The blueberries, raisins, and cinnamon. Add the sugar and stir until it is dissolved. Now cook this concoction rapidly until you reach a gelling point.  I am linking you to my tips and tricks page it is toward the bottom on how to know a gel point of a jam no pectin.

Alright as the brew starts to thicken keep stirring so it does not burn or stick to the bottom of your pot. Add the walnuts the last 5 minutes of cooking hey you do not have to add nuts at all but I love the crunch I am a lemon headed crunch brain….so be it. Alright now take it off the heat and ladle the sweetness into your clean sterile jars. Leave a ¼ inch head space. Wipe the rims clean, cap and water bath for 15 minute.

I am excited for you to experiment with different  ingredients so let me know what you come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you