4.25.2013

Maheb the Spice



Mahleb is
the pit of the sour cherry













It has been used for centuries in the Middle East (especially in Turkey and Syria) as a sweet/sour, nutty addition to breads, cookies and biscuits. I use this for my bread and butter pickles to add a different twist. I add it to the pickling spices for the pickles .



 

I found it as an ingredient in some pickles I loved to order long ago from back east. 



If you want to order some of this spice get it at Penzey's. Do not get confused they spell it differently then the original spelling fro the Spice House but it does not offer it any longer. So go to Penzey's.

I use this for my Bread and Butter Pickles it is the "secret" spice !  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you