6.09.2014

Strawberry Jam





Strawberry Jam this is an original and you can not go wrong. It only took me 7 years to get back to the basic jam's. This last week I have made plain jam's. Plain ole Strawberry Jam. These are really the best and most loved and anyone can make them.


  


The ingredients are simple with this I just followed the Ball Blue Book a classic book to always have on hand. I have over 30 preserving and canning book's . I rummage through them all and in the end  this is the book I always seem to end up in.

At the end of the ingredients I am going to give you a few of the things I add to help make it even better. To ensure a gel point you have the option to add a package of powder pectin. Your choice. 




 
Ingredients for Disappearing Jam

9 cups of crushed Strawberries
6 cups of  sugar.

My options: I add a little less than 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Also,  if it does not gel I add some powdered pectin. It is OK to do this prior to filling your jars. Just bring it back up to a rolling boil and add the pectin. Keep it at a rolling boil for about 3 minutes to ensure the pectin is evenly distributed. You are going to find your own tricks for your jam.







Combine berries and sugar into a large stock pot. Bring the ingredients to a boil slowly and keep stirring until the sugar has dissolved.

I use a potato masher to crush the berries to the consistency I like. I do enjoy a nice piece of berry in my bite of jam.







 Now bring it up to a hard rolling boil. Keep this going you want a boil you can not stir down. Stir and stir more.







Once you have reached your gel point 220 turn off the heat and let the jam sit for 5 minutes. I do this with all my berry jams it help to get the fruit to evenly distribute once they are bathed.







Ladle the jam into the jars leaving a 1/4 inch of head space. Wipe the rims. Cap and water bath process for 15 minutes.




 How did we go from this to that ...

Sounds like a new hit song.









This is one way to enjoy your jam with cheese and cracker's. Oh Yes Mama!






Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you