6.22.2015

Apricot Jam with Dried Cranberries


Apricot Jam with dried fruit is nothing special.  I dehydrate fruit through out the year. As you can see I got a few apricots off a neighbor tree this season. I lined them up on my table for a day or two to ripen them up just right. I never want them to over-ripen because then the jam is no good. You want your fruit firm but tasty. Never mushy, bruised or mealy.

This year I added some dried cranberries. The apricots are so fresh and sweet that bit of tart will add a great taste.




Ingredients

Makes about 7 half pints

8 cups of chopped apricots
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups of granulated sugar





Clean your fruit and then chop your apricots. I slice the apricot in half then quarter the half. I love my jams chunky. Have your cranberries measured out . When you cook the apricots it will break up so do not worry about skin . No you do not have to peel your apricots they will dissipate when cooked.






Cook your chopped apricots on medium heat until they begin to get to a thinner consistency. Add the lemon and cranberries. If the apricots are to thick just smush them to make them smaller. 










Once the apricots are cooked down to the right size and consistency for your jam it is time to get your sugar added.






With Apricot jam there is always just a little foam. This just goes with jam making at times. Nothing is wrong with you jam. Some people add a bit of butter. I have experimented with butter and with out. I choose to put less stuff in my jam's. So no butter for me. And I eat the foam on crackers after it cools. No there is nothing wrong with the foam just ugly!

The foam is just from the boiling jam coming up through the viscous jam. Here is a link to more information on Foam in my Jam

 



Now it is time to add your sugar have it measure out so it is easier to add. Add it slowly 1 cup at a time, while stirring and keep your jam at the rolling boil your not done with your work out yet.






Keep this boil going for yet another 5 minutes when you have made jam for a while you will know when it has reached it gel point. Sometimes it is hit and miss there are times I have done everything perfect to only come out with syrup. Get it to a temperature of  222/223 degrees with a candy thermometer. Never throw away any jam that is to thin you can re-do it or use it for Syrup! Think Ice Cream !

Ladle the jam into the jars leaving a 1/2 inch of head space. Wipe the rims. Cap and water bath process for 12 minutes.Once done remove and place on a towel cover counter. Let them rest for 24 hours. Once cooled remove the twist and clean the jars. Label and date then store in a cool dry area.

Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes. 

2 comments:

  1. How would I modify the recipe if I used fresh cranberries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, Yes of course this recipe was to try using the dried cranberries as cranberries are not always available throughout the year. With fresh measure the amount that you would like personally I would say 2 cups fresh how much tang do you want.?

    ReplyDelete

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you