7.13.2017

Cherry with Crystallized Ginger Jam

Cherry Ginger Jam I have yet to run out of idea's for the cherries. I received my yearly box from the NW Cherry Growers. Cherry Jam with a nice cup of Crystallized Ginger sounds pretty terrific to me.  The day my box arrives I am so ready. Pa and I sit and anticipate the wonderful Jam's and concoctions we can make from these wonder nuggets. Well I could go on all day but let's get started Jammin'



Ingredients

8 cups of clean, pitted, chopped cherries
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons ginger powder
3/4 cup crystallized ginger
2 cups of sugar






Start by putting your cherries and lemon juice in a large non-reactive pot. Stir on a medium heat while smashing your cherries to the consistency you like. I like nice pieces of fruit in my jam's. Keep stirring the cherries keeping the heat at bay so as to not burn or scorch your jam. Never ever ever make jam without having the time and patience to enjoy the process. 

 
 


 Now you can add you Ginger Powder one teaspoon at a time making sure it blends into the cherries. Next you can add one cup of the sugar and stir to incorporate well.






This is going to be the time to add the crystallized ginger before you add the last cup of sugar. Stir, stir, stir cha cha cha ! Ok let's add that last cup of sugar and get the jam up to a rolling boil that cab not be stirred down.


You can just see the small little chunks of ginger.







This is going to be Cherrylicious






Now that everything is having a party in our pot we need to get the temperature up to 223. This temperature will bring your jam (most of the time) to a gel point. I put my thermometer into the jam about 10 minutes prior to the water-bath.




How beautiful is this jam. I note that Cherry Jam is one of the deepest colored jam I do. And the flavor is so very rich. Alright it is time to jar up this beauty. Take your warm jar's and full them to a 1/2 inch from the rim of the jar. Wipe the rim of the jars clean and place the top and twist on. Give your jar's a 12 minutes water-bath.









 
Once they have taken their bath remove the warm jars from the pot and place them on a towel covered counter. Let them cool for 24 hours and then remove the twist clean your jars. Dry your jar and label with type of jam and date you preserved them.. Store them in a cool area.

Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Agricultural Extension Service for additional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you