8.23.2020

How to make Fruit Leather

Fruit Leather this word was foreign to me. I knew only one word for this fruit deliciousness Fruit Roll Ups. That was my go to snack when taking my children grocery shopping. When we walked in that grocery store it was just given Mama would get them a Fruit Roll Up. Well times have not changed only the name. I made my first batch of Fruit Leather and will be sending some to my Bean (granddaughter) to test and let me know how Yaya did.


The advantage of making your own is you control the ingredients. Use honey instead of sugar. Add spices? So many delicious options. Fruit Leather got its name from the fact that it is pureed fruit dried, it is shiny and has the texture of leather. 


Let's get started

Ingredients

  • 3 to 4 pounds of strawberries
  • 1/4 cup granulated  honey/sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
  1. Select ripe or slightly over ripe fruit
  2. Wash fruit/berries in cool water. Remove peels, pits and stem
  3. Cut fruit into cube. Use 2 cups of fruit for each 13" x 15" inch fruit leather
  4. Puree fruit until smooth in a blender or food processor. Add 2 teaspoon of lemon juice for each 2 cups of light colored fruit. This helps it keep its color
  5. Use a cookie sheet to dry in the oven
  6. Use honey to sweeten this is best for longer storage. Sugar makes crystals
  7. Preheat your oven to 170 while you are waiting for the mixture to cool




Take your chopped and cleaned fruit and put it into a blender or food processor. Puree the fruit until smooth and then transfer into a medium saucepan.






Bring all your ingredients to a simmer on the stove in a medium saucepan. Make sure the ingredients are blended together. And taste to make sure it is to your liking. Now reduce the heat and to low and cook, stirring occasionally at first and then toward the end you should notice that the fruit has evaporated and is much thicker. It takes about 30 to 45 minute. Now turn off the mixture and let it cool. 











I put my cooked mixture into a large measuring cup. Yet another cooking accessory.  Their are many recipes for fruit leather and it is divided on cooking the mixture or just pouring it on the cookie tray and drying. I tend to simmer the mix. There is just something that makes me feel safer food wise when something is cooked. Also if you use granulated sugar rather than honey you need to cook the sugar to mix. With that make up your own mind. Cook it.

This first batch of leather I made in my oven. I did not have the right inserts for my dehydrator. Worked great and with your oven at 170 with a fan going you would not know anything is cooking. 








Line a cookie sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Do not use aluminum. Pour your mixture onto the mat and level it out to no more than 1/8" and stay away from the edges of the cookie sheet the bigger the leather the longer it takes to dry. One of my cookie sheets mixture was thinner than the other. The pictures show it. 











Cook your fruit leather for up to 12 hours in the oven. Ovens vary so maybe longer maybe shorter. Test the leather by touching the center and if you can not make an indentation it is ready. Another way to know if it is done is if the under side is still damp it is not ready. 

Take your fruit leather out of the oven and let it cool completely before you store it. 






I cut mine into long strips and roll shiny side down on parchment paper. 







Once rolled I tape them slightly and wrap with ribbon. I pretty them up for the grandprincess. 
The Bean 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you