8.20.2020

Standard Yellow Mustard


Making homemade mustard has become a really great cooking experience. I have taken it to the next level since my first batch. I seem to have a knack of adding ingredients to my dishes. Mustard being no exception. A few tips, You can use any of many tools to grind mustard. I have used my blender, my Magic Bullet, mortar and pestle, and of course the good ole' food processor. Depending on how smooth you want your mustard the best way is a spice grinder.



There are basic ingredients to a simple yellow mustard. The longer you make this mustard the more ideas will pop into your head. I have added many a different ingredient to it and all have made wonderful flavors. Whole mustard seed is a pantry must in my cookbook. Yellow as well as brown. The seed are easy to keep in a sealed jar and will last throughout the year. 

Let us get started.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup of yellow mustard seed  (grind the seeds)
  • 1/4 cup of vinegar. White wine or Apple Cider
  • 1 1/2 cups of filtered water
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon red paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Mix the ground mustard with the rest of your spices into a small bowl. Have your cooking vessel on the stove ready to cook your mustard together. Add water and spice mix to your pot. Cook this until the mix starts to boil. Add the vinegar and let it come back to a boil about 5 minutes it usually takes. Make sure you stir so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot. 



Pour your mixture into a glass container. I use 8 ounce canning jars. Any glass container should do. Once the mustard has cooled keep it in the refrigerator. This should be good refrigerated for at least one month. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you