6.29.2013

Tomato Jam/Spread

   
This Sicilian Tomato Jam is wonderful ! 
Make sure you have two hours for the simmer thing. It does take time. This little wonder came from the batch of little tinny weenie tomato's Pa brought home. So cute and trust me I am NOT a tomato peeler. I like thick rich Jams and thus with peels and seeds' do not bother real foodies. Besides most of the natural nutrients are in the jam, sauces and dehydrated tomato's I use.



Ingredients

16 cups of chopped cherry tomatoes
Lemon zest and juice from one lemon
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger powder
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoons of red pepper flakes or 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne powder. **Optional ingredient
I like a little bite. Use half if you are sensitive to the heat/spicy taste.


** Do not worry about peeling these little guy's when you are cooking the skins fall off and I pick them our with tongs. (No big thing good jam is time consuming) Many of the peels will  also will dissipate while cooking. 




Take your cherries and slice them in half.
I sliced most but did leave about 20 whole. 







Add your vinegar and lemon liquid and zest to the pot and bring it to a slow simmer . I take my time with this and it was worth every pain staking minute.  Watch it closely so you do not brown the tomatoes. 


Notice in the picture I use a potato smasher to separate the tomato's from their skin. 


Stir, stir and stir some more




Once you have a mild simmer add your other ingredients and let this simmer for at least 2 hours. Stir occasionally. This gives the tomato's time to dissipate and the ingredient's to enjoy each other.


I realize this seems a bit extreme but I have found with all my jam they need to get to the right temperature when cooking t0 get the gel you want.  Get your rolling boil to 223/224 and stir. This will take a while but no pectin needed when doing this simple yet long step.

Once your jam has finished it's simmer you can ladle into clean jar leaving 1/2" head space. Wipe the jars clean secure the lids and water-bath for 15 minutes.











This is the most delicious thing I have eaten today on a several cracker's with some cheese.

This jam was and is still is a winner!
I am going out to the farm to pick as many tomato's as I can.









Enjoy !









Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you