6.29.2013

Tomato Jam/Spread

   
This Sicilian Tomato Jam is wonderful ! Make sure you have two hours for the simmer thing. It does take time. This little wonder came from the batch of little tinny weenie tomato's Pa brought home. So cute and trust me I am NOT a tomato peeler. I like Jams and thus with peels and seeds' Besides most of the natural nutrients are in the skins and seed's of most fruit and vegetables.



Ingredients

3 pounds ripe, super sweet cherry tomatoes
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Lemon zest from one lemon
1 tablespoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger powder
1 tablespoons of red pepper flakes or 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne powder. **Optional ingredient
I like a little bite. Use half if you are not sure.
Less is better you can put more in but can't take any out...eeeeee


** Do not worry about peeling these little guy's when you are cooking the skins fall off and I pick them our with tongs. (No big thing good jam is time consuming) They also will dissipate while cooking. 





Take your cherries and slice them in half.
I sliced most but did leave about 20 whole. 






Bring all your ingredients Except the sugar to a slow simmer. I take my time with this and it was worth every pain staking minute.  Watch it closely so you do not brown the tomatoes. Once you have a mild simmer add your sugar and let this simmer for at least 2 hours. Stir occasionally.









I realize this seems a bit extreme but I have found with really great jam some need to get to the right point in their cooking to get just the right gel and taste.  Simmer, Simmer and Simmer some more ! 



Once your jam has finished it's simmer you can ladle into clean jar leaving 1/4" head space. Wipe the jars clean secure the lids and water-bath for 15 minutes.



This is the most delicious thing I have eaten today on a several cracker's with some cheese.

This jam was and is so a winner! I am going out to the farm to pick as many tomato's as I can.










 I did go watch the video here that Mark made, more for ingredients and to see his end results. Plus the websites here are two I grabbed some ingredients from Sacatomao  and some stuff from   Sippity Sup.







Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you !