7.03.2013

Peach Jam no pectin


This Peach Jam is delicious and believe it or not makes me want to make onion marmalade. How weird is that. Plus I never realized that saying Holy Shit on FB would burn someones panties so much. How fun! BUT remember the beginning of the year I said no bars this year can it like it is!






As easy as the ingredients make it look NOT those darn fruit just wanna fool ya!  It is the Pit's . I am funny!
 
Now the first challenge is the peeling ! Yes blanching them is easy but the steps the steps. So many
steps. Ok enough of my complaint here are the instructions:

Peeling your Fruit:

What you need for blanching: Pot of boiling water and a large bowl with ice water oh and a slotted spoon








 
Clean your fruit and that does not mean a quick rinse wash them. Have a large pot with boiling water and drop your whole peaches into the hot water. Let them sit for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and pop them babies into the ice water. Remove them as you peel them. I put them in the ice water then took them out and made a pile and some the skin re-stuck-ish on them. So ice water and remove as you peel.

Pitting the lil guys:

Run a small knife around the peach the indented part of it. Ok it look's like a butt crack . Just slice down the crack part and pull apart with the knife. Some of them are stubborn. I use almost ripe fruit which means some are not quite ripe and still want to hold on to their pit. Let go Let go. Look at my picture see the pits in the background I just cut around the pit as close as I can I was not in the mood to fight the pits. I just got done wresting skins! No really the skin's just fell off!




Keep them from turning brown:

I keep a spray bottle of Lemon water next to the peeling station. As I peel and chop I spray the fruit. Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice per one cup of water.I do not like to put-them into a bowl of lemon water they get to wet and lose some of their deliciousness!

Ok so a week has passed. Kidding ! Let's make jam

 

 

 

Ingredients

4 pounds of fresh peaches makes about 8 cups
3 cups of sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice fresh squeezed

Makes about 6 - half pint jars









This jam just cooked down to the most gorgeous jam I have seen today. Look I am in love with all my jam's and I do not want to make the other jam's feel bad!


Put your sliced peaches into a large pot and turn on the heat simmer to start. You want to break down the fruit but not burn it.Once you have a nice simmer going and the peaches are breaking down add your sugar and lemon and bring the mixture to a rapid boil.


I use my potato smasher to mush the fruit and then once it looks the right consistency I turn the fire up.








Bring the jam up to a rapid boil and continue to stir you want a rapid boil you can not stir down. I want my gel temperature to get to 220 degree's.

Use a candy thermometer once you get more use to jam's you are going to know automatically when the jam has gelled.







 Fill you jar's leaving  a 1/4" head space, wipe the rims and cap and bath time for the jam.
Water bath for 15 minutes. Let them cool over night and remove the twisty part wipe clean and store.


Wow I do not need to go to the gym this week!





Here are a couple of sites I looked at for advice A Sweet Spoonfull and Taste of the South




Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you