1.30.2014

Using stone fruit pit's in your jam NOT


 Caution Canner's

NO NO NO do not add stone pit's to your jam for almond flavor. This includes cherry, peach, apricot and apple seeds. Why you ask. They contain CYANIDE and this will not evaporate. You can use the pit's of sweet apricot's which contain less cyanide. Another word for the chemical in these seeds is amygdalin.  But still it is there and is it worth the flavor when you can easily add a few drops of almond extract or flavoring. The bitter flavor of the regular stone fruit pits on your tongue is your tongue recognizing the taste of the chemical.

Fruit pit's who would have thought well I went on to the Internet to search for some new apricot recipes and came across this one on

 What Julia Ate she said and I quote and paste!

" I put in a sack of the apricot pits, for the almond flavor they impart. I don't crack them to release the kernel, like many folks do. I put them in whole because I am lazy. This step is up to you!" 

Now this means : You wrap the pits into a
sack made of Cheese cloth tie it tight with some
cooking twine then add the pits to your mixture.

NO NO NO 

I do not mean to hurt anyone's blogging feeling BUT I do a lot of research about canning and preserving many time prior to posting. No I am not a "Master Preserver" but I am careful and I hope you also are. xoxo

 Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you