5.25.2011

Orange-Lemon Marmalade

Marmalade all of you know I am a Citrus Freak! I love that tang.











Orange-Lemon Marmalade

5 pounds of lemon and oranges
2 cups orange pulp
1 cup of lemon pulp
1 cup combined thinly sliced orange & lemon peels
¼ tsp baking soda
2 cups of water
1 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
5 cups of sugar again to taste I like 4
Natural pectin




Ok the first thing you do is prep your citrus. I have learned a great way to cut citrus. Keep in mind that Marmalade is a time consuming jam. Worth the time trust me!








So thinly slice your lemons and one of the oranges , it comes to about a cup.Now take the slices and cut them into quarters. Put the slices, rinds 2 cups of water with the baking soda into the pot bring it to a boil . Turn it down and let it simmer on low for 20 minutes this tenderizes it. This also brings out a lot of the natural pectin from the peels.






In the mean time cube up your oranges and lemons this is without the peel cut enough to have 3 cups of chunky pulp (see the picture) but like all my tips you make it the consistency you like after all its your jam.


Ok once the slices have simmered add the rest of the liquid and the chunks and the pectin.
Bring this to a rapid boil foamy like. For 5 to 7 minutes stirring all the time, this is when a friend or husband saying “Oh my gosh that smells so good”








Next add the sugar slowly (Have your sugar measured out and ready). Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar then to a rolling boil just to gel point.

Here is a tip I learned from June Taylor The Still Room at the class I took in Oakland have your marmalade heat up to a temperature of 223 use a candy thermometer this should insure it will set nicely.

Ladle into clean jars




Give them a bath 15 minutes is my standard time
I have attempted to accurately share safe home preserving methods. However, I make no promises. You are responsible for your health. Be aware of current safety recommendations.

Here is a site that has so many different ways to use your citrus. Talk about no waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you