6.03.2011

Apricot-Apple Butter

Apricot-Apple Butter

The Stuff you need:
4 cups of chopped apricots
2 cups finely peeled & chopped Apples I use Breaburn
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of molasses
2 teaspoon fresh ground all spice
2 tablespoons cinnamon


Like most of my canning this was yet another experiment. But it turned out super delicious There are a lot of butters out there I just saw one for Mango Butter. It is so funny right when you start a project canning or cooking or baking it seems that someone else is doing the same thing or close to it. Gosh I love the World Wide Webster.


Alright enough of my love affair with the computer, lets get canning. This is a slow cook process so start early in the day when you are home or cleaning worth the time.


I chopped the apricot's the same way I did in my Apricot Jam . You clean, pit and chop them in half then quarters. Chop the apples and mix them together. When I chop my ingredients I squeeze fresh lemon over them so they keep there color and do not brown up it will not make a difference in you recipe. Once that is done put the apricots and the apples in a large pot add your lemon simmer down.


Start on low then start putting more heat on once you see they are breaking down. When I first start I use a old fashion potato masher to break them down to start. Keep stirring up for I say 10 minutes once you have a good consistency. Once this is mixed and has coming to a rolling boil add you sugar. When you add the sugar the boiling will slow down, so it is a good time once the sugar is all mixed up to add the rest of your ingredients. Cinnamon, all spice and molasses and get the mix back up to a rolling boil.



Now you need to break down the jam so it is a buttery consistency this can be done many ways. A food processor, a food mill and on and on but my way is not to have to make any more work out of it so in goes my Hand Blender. I use this for butter, jams, sauces, salsas anything that need breaking up during cooking/canning.



Alright once you have the right consistency and with all canning it is personal and the way you like it so do not be afraid to tweak things sometimes once you have the hang of it. Hey the worse thing that has happened to me is I come out with super good syrup for ice cream, when it is to thin.

With butter you really can not over cook so let it simmer on a medium heat for say 2 to 3 hours and keep an eye on it and stir it every say 20 minutes, taste it you like? Now is the time to start getting the butter into your prepared jars. Remember to wipe the top of the jars before you cap them. Put them in the water bath for 15 minutes 

It must be good hubby have three pieces of toast for dinner....

You really will love this combo of apples and apricots....

Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Agricultural Extension Service for additional information and available classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you