2.20.2013

Pomegranate Jelly/Jam

My neighbor has a pomegranate tree so each year it is mine.  I hope that she never cuts it down. You will get about 6 pints from this recipe for pomegranate jelly/jam

Ingredients

5 pounds of pomegranates- makes -  5 cups of pomegranate juice.
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
6 cups of granulated sugar
1 box of pectin - Mix the pectin with about a cup of your sugar makes it easier to mix into the juice. It is your first ingredient to add. If you want thicker jelly just add about 1/4 of a pack of pectin more. I do! Here is a pectin link






It is a long and tedious process for me because I get so many pomegranates that it is insane. But good delicious insane.To clean my pom's I crack them in half and get the guts out. I then fill a bowl with cool water and begin to tear the pulp from the core the seeds will sink the pulp will float.







Once you have separated the seeds rinse them and make sure all the white is off them. If any seeds float that means that there is still white on them. Here is the detailed link to clean.





I know you think I have enough. For me it is a two day process just to clean and separate I get so many. But I have so much juice for food and recipes far beyond the jelly I make.









 
 Ok the first thing you want to do is cook your pomegranate almost to a boil to help make the juice come on down. Just a medium heat you do not want to burn or over cook. Simmer them for 10 minutes then into the food mill. After you have run it through the food mill you will now need to use  a jelly strainer.








 I know this seems like a lot of tools and time. BUT all the tools I use, I use over and over and over. This and all my tools have been great investments.

DO NOT cut corners when it comes to your jam's. I found a link that has a few ways to make juice if you do not have a food mill.










Look at that beautiful juice I got from the fruit. So rich and delicious. So worth the time to make this jelly. And this is probably the only jelly I make besides Grape. All my others are jams. 



But if you want to you can set aside some seeds and add them to your jelly to get a little crunch.
 I do a few jars this way Take the last of the jelly prior to filling the last jars and add seeds to the mix. So far they seem to just rise to the top a look I do not like  Here is the link to add your seeds .
So make your own jammin decision.  



Ok now it is time to cook your jelly put your gorgeous juice into a large pot and add your lemon juice and pectin/sugar mix. Bring this to a rolling boil one you can not stir down. This will take about 10 minutes.
 
Now add the remaining sugar and bring it back to a rolling boil. Once you can not stir down the rolling boil take the pot off the burner and let it sit for 5 minutes scrape off the foamy stuff. Pour the jam into the jars leaving a 1/4 inch from the top. Whip the rims of the jars place the lid and screw top and water bath for 15 minutes.  

Once they are done let them cool for 5 minute prior to removing them from their bath. Remove let them cool for 24 hours remove the twist top clean and label. Store without the twist top
 
 

You do not want to store your jams with a twist top still on here is the link to why you store jar with no twist ring.









Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you