6.16.2013

Apricot Bluberry Jam


You all know it is time for Fair and I am on a mission. Through out the years I have entered the Fair and done pretty darn good. Last year I won 16 ribbons. BUT this year I want a God Damn Best of Show.

Try as I might I can not bribe the judges make nice is the best I can do when dropping off my goods. Last year I made nice and happened to meet two wonderful women.



Well you know the Apricot story I always seem to find the best places to pick them. My last Mother Load made a batch of Apricot Butter and it was my first time making that . I thought it was a bit runny but sometimes when I let my jams sit they thicken up all by themselves.

Ingredients

2 quarts of uncooked chopped apricots no I do not peel my fruit but you can
2 cups fresh blueberries

1/4 cup of lemon juice
5 cups of sugar




Preparation:



Combine your apricots, blueberries and lemon juice in your sauce pot. Bring slowly to a simmer. Now add your sugar and stir until you have dissolved all the sugar. Bring to a rapid boil.







 We do not add pectin to our jam's because we like to keep the jam as close to nature as possible. I have post on How to make your own Pectin and reasons why we do not use it. Once you have the rapid boil and the foamy stuff going on. Keep it at the boil until you get to your gel point. Without pectin it needs to get to about 223 degrees with a thermometer.

Now remove your jam mixture from the heat. Ladle into your clean, hot, sanitized jars leaving your 1/4" head space. Wipe the rim of the jars, Adjust your two piece cap and process in the water bath for 15 minutes.

Once removed let them cool overnight or all day for you night canner's. Take the twist top off once cooled and wipe the rims and store with out the twist. Also please do label and date the jam. Here is another Post on this great jam from Renee go looky see!

Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you