2.11.2014

Why do I cut off the end of my pickles for canning ?



Why do I have to cut the end off my pickles?

Must I cut off both ends before canning cucumbers?

If I ferment do I need to cut off the end of my pickles? 

What end to I cut off my pickles for canning?

Great question with two answer's. When you are getting ready to make your pickles you have a few decisions to make when it comes to cutting off the tips/ends.










For instance if you are fermenting and making a deli type of pickles you would only remove the 1/16 inch off the blossom end. It will prevent your fermented pickles from becoming mushy pickles. .












Regular cucumber with ends cut




For a standard pickle slice like for bread and butter you need to remove the end's only because you never see jar's with the ends in, well I have not. When you are making spear's many people cut the end off and many leave it on.












 What ever you decide here are a few tips from my favorite spot's to find an answer's
National Center for Home Preservation



See the blossom on the end. BAD END!

Cutting off the tip of the cucumber that held the blossom is essential because it has enzymes in the bloom that will make your pickles soft and possibly unsafe to eat. Keep in mind they are talking about the end with the blossom that is one end and to tell which end this is look at your cucumber. If you grow your own you will see the end of the cucumber has the blossom on it this is the end you cut. Not the stem that the cucumber hangs from.









 
In a market you can tell by simply looking at the cucumber there are two ends. The end that has a smooth spot is not where the blossom was. The end that has the rough end is where the blossom was. So you need to cut a 1/16 of an inch off the blossom end of your cucumber. Here is a link to the section of my blog that has all the pickle recipes I have made with success. Please feel free to email me with any questions to canarella@sbcglobal.net

Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes. 

4 comments:

  1. It´s nice having pickles with their ends cut off but i´ve had store-bought pickles and their ends are amazing. very crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything talks about the blossom end, what snout the stem end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue "they" say that the blossom end has all the enzyme's that keep the pickles from becoming crispy. I really is the blossom and the natural chemicals that are attached. I would rather go with the pro's then not. It is one of those I did you did not things.

      Delete
  3. OMG, please don’t use apostrophes for plurals! Apostrophes are for possession, not to make a plural! It made it painful to read, although I appreciate the information.

    ReplyDelete

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you