9.07.2014

Old Fashion Applesauce


This Applesauce reicpe is simple and old school.

Applesauce from the tree. Jean, again a BIG Thank you! I have a very generous and sweet as the apples neighbor named Jean. This woman allows me to come to her house and pick her fruit tree's . There are two great things wait three great things about this. One I get fresh fruit. Two I get to preserve fresh off the tree fruit. Most important I have another fruit friend.


Have all your water bath canning stuff done and ready to go prior to starting any canning project!








There are a few different sites that give you delicious recipes for applesauce. I have combined many but most important my Grandma Lois recipe for apple butter. I do a large batch of apples and half gets to be apple sauce and half apple butter!  I will make this post about the apple sauce but be aware some of the the picture are tricky it does show both.

The link to the Apple Butter gives you that recipe.

 Ingredients - approximately 8 pints

12 pounds of apples
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar - optional
1 1/2 cups of brown sugar - optional
4 tablespoons of lemon juice
Cinnamon/ Nutmeg optional spices  - optional



My apple sauce consistency

Clean and core your apples. You can leave the skins they are full of good antioxidants. Chop the apples and put them into a large stainless steel pot. 

There are  a few variables when doing apple sauce. You can peel and core the apples but you know how I feel about peeling. I don't.




So cut and core the apples and put them into the pot.
 
Cook the apples adding just enough water so they don't stick to your pot.Within about the first hour the peels just come loose and you can pick them out if they bother you. The texture of your apples sauce is a personal thing. I like my applesauce to have texture like my jams. The picture just a above this is what my applesauce looks like in the end.




Once your apples have been cooking (with or with out peels) on a very gentle boil for 45 minutes they should be nice and tender. This will depend on your apples. remove them from the heat and let them cool for about 10 minutes. Transfer the amount of apple you want to thin out and working in small batches put them through your food mill or you can use a food processor. 











   
This is the consistency of the apples run thu the mill


I will take about 1/4 of the apples that I have cooked down and run them through the food mill. If you do not have a food mill just use a potato masher until you get the right consistency. And buy a food mill you will use it for so many thing should you choose to continue this canning and preserving adventure.






Return all the apples back to the pot. Now is the time to add the other ingredients you want for your apple sauce. I have given you ingredients I have added to my applesauce. The trick is to add about half of what you want let it simmer for 10 minutes taste it and then add more you may want to add nothing ! What ever you do bring it back to a low simmer stirring it frequently to prevent it from sticking.The minute I start my batch I add three whole cinnamon stick and fish them out when I am done. Alright moving on have your jars ready to fill. Ladle your applesauce into your warm jars and leave 1/2 inch head space. Remove the air bubbles. Wipe the warm of the jar clean. Add you warmed lid twist the band until it is tight.







Process your jars in your boiling water canner for 20 minutes. Remove your jars and cool. Once cooled check seal wash clean. Remove the twist lid and store in a cool pantry.

Here is the link to the Ball Site I used to check my steps. It is always good to check a few different sites prior to starting any canning project. Enjoy !
Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you