8.04.2016

Strawberry Peach Jam



With the fact that here in Southern California we are blessed with the freshest strawberries imaginable.

Not to mention the peaches I got from the Washington State Fruit Commission and Sweet Preservation this year. What a great mixture peach with a strawberry back.








I do not believe the size of the peaches that Washington sent me. Look at these beauties and the nectarines are just as nice.





Last year I made a Peach Pie Filling in pint jars. I used pint jars to make just enough for Peach Pockets . Not everyone including myself can eat a whole pie. Kid's grown and all! Well let's get started.

Ingredients - App 6 to 8 half pint jars

6 cups strawberry
3 cups peaches
1/4 cups lemon juice
2 cups sugar



As always have your equipment and supplies ready.

Clean rinse and peel your peaches. There are as many ways to do this as there are variety. Chop your fruit. Put your fruit into your pot and let it simmer while your smush it down. By this I mean that you should make the fruit to the size you prefer. I will use a potato smasher to downsize the fruit.









This method works great for me but you may have your own method. If so shoot me an email I love new way of creating jam's. Doing this step also creates more natural juices to erupt from the fruit. While you are doing this step  add your lemon juice.






Once your fruit is at a nice simmer you can start to add your sugar one cup at a time. I do this process slowly as to make sure the sugar dissipates. Keep your jam going with a rolling boil you can not stir down.

What you want with any jam not using pectin is to get the jam up to a temperature of 223 degrees. This will insure (Most times) that you will get a good gel. Here is a link for getting a gel.



If you prefer to use pectin follow the box for direction on the amount of sugar! I prefer to not use it because I then can control the sugar. I want to taste the fruit !



Well now that your jam is up to it's gel point you can turn off the heat. Let it sit for 5 minutes while you get the next step ready. Time to fill your jar's.

Fill your jars to 1/4 inch from the rim of the jar. Wipe the jar rim clean and cap them.  Give the jam a 10 minutes water bath. Once they have had their bath turn off the bath. Remove the jar's be careful they are so hot. Place them on a covered counter to cool completely. 





Once cooled take off the twist part of the jar and wash the jar. You want to make sure no jam or other stuff got stuck under the twist. Do not put the twist back on until you open it.



Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Center for Home Preservation for additional information and available classes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you