12.28.2020

Cranberry Nectarine Preserves


Cranberry Nectarine this jam came out of a desperation to empty my freezer of my left over 2020 fruits. I buy in bulk during the season and what I cannot use right away I freeze. I find that to get the fruit peak is so important to the taste. Many fruits bought out of seasons need extra sweetener to pump up the flavor. 

Two things are that right now cranberries are so ready available and so very tart-ta-licious. Mix that with Summer Nectarine and you have a winner taking cranberry to the next level. I did not take many pictures this go round but the recipe is what you came here for. 


Ingredients- Makes 8 to 12 pint jars

  • 16 cups chopped nectarines
  • 2 bags of cranberries
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup fresh  lemon juice

I start by putting my cranberries in a large bowl or just into the pot you will cook the jam in. I add the brown sugar and lemon and give the cranberries a smush. Then I will add this to the pot along with the nectarines. I chop my fruit large and small I find nothing better than being able to feel the fruit in every bite. 

Make sure you are using a stainless steel pot. 


Once you have combined all the ingredients let the jam simmer for at least on hour stirring to keep it from sticking on the bottom of your pot. Once your jam has come to a nice gel you can get your jars ready. 

For this jam I used pint jars rare for me but I was giving them as Christmas Gifts. Have your jars warm when it is time to fill. Fill your jars until you get half inch from the top of the jar. Wipe the rim clean and add the lid and twist. Water bath on a high boil for 10 minutes. 



Wait 5 minutes once the jam is done to remove from the water bath. Once they have cooled take off the twist from of the jar leaving the lid and clean, label and store in a cool dark place.

Disclaimer: This is not an all inclusive recipe for making jam. You should have a basic knowledge and understanding of the canning process before proceeding. Please consult your local Agricultural Extension Service for additional information and available classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you