11.20.2020

Blackberry Raspberry Schrub


Making Shrubs are made and gone faster than I can explain. I love Shrubs. This one is wonderful because it gives me the tart of the blackberry and the sweet of the raspberry. Every Shrub is simple and you can use fresh or frozen fruit. 

I use turbinado sugar on all my shrubs it (to me) gives it a richer taste. I added some of my dehydrated blood oranges to my cup for extra flavor.



Ingredients


  • 1 cup of raspberries 
  • 1 cup of blackberries
  • 3/4 cup of turbinado sugar
  • 3/4 cup of red wine vinegar



Place the raspberries and blackberries into a bowl with the sugar. Stir to combine. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours.



Stir occasionally. You want the sugar to dissolve.

 


This will save you later when you are straining and you find sugar that is not incorporated. 

Now remove the mixture from the refrigerator and add the vinegar to the syrup and stir. 




Get your strainer ready regardless of what you use. This one I used the jelly strainer. You are going to strain all the liquid out. I will gently get all the fruit into the strainer and let it strain naturally. It takes about a half hour or so. Once it is done I will remove the strainer bag and squeeze the dinkin's out of it. You can use the leftover fruit for compost or perhaps a salad dressing or freeze it for another foodie adventure. 




Now it is time to pour your liquid into a container. I have a lot of various glass container's you will see them in various posts   Once your shrub is incorporated you want to store this in a glass jar and refrigerate. Let your syrup stay in the refrigerator for one week prior to using it. 

Use the leftover solids for your compost or any other project you may have in mind. 

Another good idea is Fruit Leather.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you