8.25.2021

Freezing Fresh Ginger


Ginger ... Fresh Ginger is a staple in my pantry. I use it for everything from Hot Tea to Preserved Jams and lets not stop there for cooking it can bring out the best in many dishes. Granted Ginger is a spice that is an acquired taste. A bit bold but great for you and your health. Ginger can be used in so many ways. Fresh, dried, powdered or as an oil or juice. 



The health benefits are endless it is used to aid digestion, reduce nausea and it can help fight the Flu and the common cold and that is only a few purposes. The great flavor and fragrance comes from the gingerol. The gingerol is the main bioactive compound in ginger. Well more on that later. Let's freeze some ginger! 



The first thing you need to do is get some fresh ginger roots. I buy about 2 pounds. I will freeze some, dry some to make a powder and candy some. Let us get started. Buying your ginger in Spring is when you will know it is at its freshest.


To freeze so many of my herbs and stuff I have bought ice cube trays that have little cubes. This ice cube tray makes it so I can freeze 1 teaspoon per cube. That will make it easier when cooking and dropping it in any recipe.



The first thing you will need to do is to peel your ginger. Some times I have used a small paring knife and just thinly sliced the skin off. Another very popular way is to take a spoon and run it down the sides of the ginger this method will peel very well. I also snap the little nobs off the sides and freeze them whole for other uses. I even grate the ginger to dry and make powder. 



Once your ginger is peeled and ready chop it into small little pieces. Once diced have your ice cube tray and a teaspoon available. Also a cup of water. The reason for this is you want to put in one teaspoon of chopped ginger then fill that with water. 





The water will keep it fresh when freezing and the amount of liquid is not enough to make any difference in your jam or cooking. Here is a picture of the ice cube tray filled with the ginger.




Now add the water to the tray.




Once the ginger has frozen you can easily store them in a zip lock bag or canning jar. 

I love having what I need available when ever I need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you