11.08.2021

Small Batch Pickled Radish's


Well now that we do not have our company open anymore I have had time to do small batch preserving. This is also a wonderful way to preserve your garden veggies and fruits when you have a small garden or not so much of a crop. I grew some wonderful radishes this summer and was able to pickle some. 




The recipe is so easy and I am going to give you the recipe I broke down for 2 one pint jars.  

Ingredients

  • 2 pound of sliced or chopped radish's
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 cup of vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar 
  • 2 garlic cloves chopped for brine
Optional ingredient's are crushed red peppers a teaspoon, bay leaf, dill, pepper seeds

I have a very extensive garden and a variety of stuff I have grown or dehydrated or crushed myself. Example I have a bay leaf tree, I crush and grind a lot of my own spices, I dehydrated my peppers and extract seeds for Chili Powder and many whole seeds for various cooking needs. I also make my own pickling spices.



You can cut the radishes in to any shape you want. I Cut mine into quarters. I like the crunch of the large pieces and use it like you would a pickle. You can see the size in the first picture on this post. 





Once you have your radishes' cut put them aside. Chop your garlic into small pieces as small as you want. If you choose to add this ingredient.






Now let us get the liquid made that the radishes get to bathe in. In a boiling pot pour your water, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic. The little pot you see was what I started with it was just bit enough to hold the liquid







I will add any additional ingredients to each jar. Example is one bay leaf, some dill and a few peppercorns.  And yes a chili pepper from the garden already dried. 





You want to have your jars in your waterbath getting warm. Once your brine has completely dissolved the sugar and salt let it sit while you prepare your jars. Take the jars out of the waterbath and fill them with the radishes pack them tight and leave a half inch head space. Pour the brine over them leaving at least a 1/4 inch headspace.

Waterbath the radishes for 14 minutes turn off the heat let the sit for 5 mintues. Remove the jars set the on a towel to cool. Once completely cool remove the twist top wash and label.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you