1.02.2012

Carrot Jam

This is going to be a good year for all us canning peeps.I found an old book while cleaning out my sister's home. I am a freak for Vintage Cook Books I still need to get them organized. I have already put some of the recipes on my Cooking Blog.

 I found one in this book called "The Household Searchlight Recipe Book"  from The Household Magazine published in 1931. The women who composed this book by first name were Ida, Harriet, Zorada and Irene you have to just love the names.




 I went to the index that was labeled "Canning and Preserving" on page 95 was this little recipe for you ready, it's a recipe for Carrot Jam. I needed to tweak it a bit because I wanted to have enough acidity to preserve safely.

Oh and on toast do not tell the kid's it has carrot's.
This makes a delicious jam for cheese and a wonderful spread to cover chicken or fish.

I had a couple of jam makers tell me this jam was a no-no but I did a lot of research and tweaked it to make it safe for you. I made it last year and just ate the last jar and here I am still alive and able to pass this one on. Enjoy!

Ingredients 

 Carrot Jam
4 cups chopped carrots
3 cups of sugar
2 lemons the zest and all the juice
1 orange the zest and all the juice
1/4 cup bottled lemon juice 
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teas cloves

Combine ingredients. Simmer slowly, stirring constantly, until thick

From : Mrs. Evelyn Cable, Searcy, Ark....



 I graded the carrot in my food processor until I got the consistency I would like in a jam. I like a bit of texture in my jams as you all know.




 I added zest from the lemons and the juice this make the process safer and ass the citrus you need to safely water bath them.








 Stir and stir and stir. I have learned that most jam need to come to a good rolling boil to better gel.




So I ended up getting 6 - 1/2 pint jars...that works for me



  This is a small batch for me I am use to canning large batch's of anything but this year I am going to focus more on small batch.
 I still have a box of Meyer lemons staring at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you