11.18.2020

Making Your Own Vanilla Powder

Vanilla Beans one of the seasoning and flavor enhancers that I think people have no idea how far you can take these little beans. I will post at the end of this the links for various ways I use these heavenly beans. 



First let us start with a few things you need to do for Vanilla Powder. Let me tell you to use your beans for other things before you use them just for Vanilla Powder. They are potent little ones and can be used multiple times for various projects. I start once I order my beans planning their uses first I make some Pure Vanilla Extract. Once that is done I take the beans out of the extract. There is plenty of flavor left in the beans alone. Even when I make three batches out of my beans. 


I have to start this post on the How to remove the beans from the extract. I never order and use them  fresh to make the vanilla powder this is such a terrible waste of good beans. 

Alrighty enough let's start by removing the beans from the Vanilla Extract. This can be tricky but once you have emptied your vessel of the vanilla extract you made it is a lot easier. I use a narrow fork to grab them by the curl. They all naturally have a nice curl on one end of the bean. Pull the beans from the vessel and place them on a plate.



Once you have removed your beans it is time to cut the end off and slice them down the middle if you did not already do this for your Vanilla Extract. You can use a cookie baking sheet covered with parchment paper to dry the beans. This way they have an area to dry that you can move them around and lose nothing from the beans. Dry the beans on a counter in the house you could also start the process by using your oven set at 170 for a few hours. 


Now that your beans are dried it is time to make the powder. 

I start by chopping the beans as small as possible. I use a Mortar and Pestle to do my beginning grinding. Once they have been crushed you can take them and put them into a spice grinder. I use a coffee bean grinder that is my makeshift spice grinder. It works and it is only for spices to be ground. 





Once the vanilla has been ground I put it through a strainer to keep the larger vanilla beans out and separate. I can use these for other cooking needs. They will work if you make a spice package to use in jam or sauces. Also for Vanilla Sugar.






Once you are done separating the vanilla beans and powder put your powder into a glass container and keep in a cool dry cupboard. Use this power for all your baking needs it comes in extra handy during the Holidays as you do so much baking during winter months. If you make ice cream this powder is what it needs. 



Also you can make Vanilla Extract. Another great way to use the beans is Vanilla Sugar

Here are a few Jam Recipes using Vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to answer your questions and hear from each and every one of you